On this Independence Day, may we remember the ultimate independence we have by depending on the finished work of Christ. It is my prayer that we use this freedom from sin to live our lives to glorify Him out of gratitude for what He has done for us. Several years ago, I made a list of little ways I can glorify God as I celebrate the 4th of July.
- Be thankful for those who have given their lives for your freedom as an American. Be even more thankful for the ultimate sacrifice made at Calvary. (John 15:13)
- As you watch fireworks, think of the Gospel. If it is in your heart and you never let it out to share it with others, it is like a burning fire shut up in your bones. You become weary of holding it in. In fact, you can’t. Burst with the Good News! (Jeremiah 20:9)
- When you hear the marching bands, realize the Lord has blessed these musicians and the composers of the music they are playing with skill. (Psalm 33:3, Psalm 150)
- Pray for our President and leaders. Be thankful for them. (2 Timothy 1)
- Realize if you’re a Christian, your citizenship is in Heaven. (Philippians 3:20)